Oh, my great-grandmother made the most delicious molasses cake! And she mixed it by hand in a bowl with a wooden spoon. No electrical appliances for her. Today, I use that same bowl in my kitchen. Here's her recipe. Enjoy big pieces of this cake, it's good for you.
1 cup blackstrap molasses
1 cup cold water
1 cup sugar
3 teaspoons ginger, more if you really like ginger
1 teaspoon allspice
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
3 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1. Cream butter and sugar.
2. Add molasses and eggs and beat well.
3. Add water and beat well.
4. Mix together dry ingredients (flour, ginger, allspice, salt, baking soda).
5. Add dry ingredients and water, a little at a time, and beat well.
6. Don't make batter too stiff. Add more water if needed.
7. Pour into buttered 9 x 13 cake pan or 2 round pans.
8. Bake at 325 for 35 min. Test with toothpick to make sure cake is done. This is a dense cake.
Enjoy. I like mine with milk or warm tea. Frosting is an option.
If blackstrap molasses is too strong tasting for you, use light molasses. Gingersnap blend from The Spice House is a good substitute for the ginger and allspice.