Food, Community And All Things Sustainable

June 20, 2011

South Dakota Tractor Museum


One of my favorite Kimball, South Dakota places to visit is the South Dakota Tractor Museum.  And my favorite display area is the "Women's Building"... it's also the best kept secret at the museum.  Walking into the Women's Building is like walking into my grandma's house. A favorite piece is the Hoosier kitchen cabinet, just like the one grandma had in her farm kitchen.

So much more is on display - feed sack clothing, musical instruments, equipment for washing clothes, ladies hats, handiwork. The bedroom, living room and kitchen displays can keep you busy all day - "Grandma had one of those." "Aunt Martha had one of those." - you get the idea. It is truly a walk down memory lane.

When visiting the museum, I've often encountered women out in the parking lot, sitting in a vehicle reading a book or magazine - unaware of the Women's Building which lacks signage.  Invited inside, they often spend more time in the museum than does their husband.

Ladies, when the man decides to visit the South Dakota Tractor Museum, there is no reason to stay in the vehicle because you are really not all that into tractors and such.

The Women's Building is at the rear of the Visitor Center, which also houses a Gift Shop full of locally made items and a used book corner. One other item you might want to check out amongst the farm equipment is a grasshopper chewed fence post from the 'Dirty 30s'...you will be surprised at what grasshoppers can do! Just ask one of the museum guides to show it to you.  If I don't mention the blacksmith shop and one-room school, those museum guides are going to me why...so I'm mentioning them.

The South Dakota Tractor Museum is open Memorial Day through Labor Day, 9:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday, and 1:00 - 5:00 p.m. on Sundays. Guided tours available. No admission charged, donations appreciated. Interstate 90, exit 284 at Kimball, SD.

1 comment:

David said...

Sounds like exactly the kind of place I could spend an hour in myself, as I spent an awful lot of time in my Grandma's kitchen too. Nicely written, funny and convincing review, Maria (as in convincing me that this is something well worth visiting).